8.23.2007

Not because I've had nothing to say.

It has been a while, I know. Believe me, it is not because I've had nothing to say, rather, it has been the opposite, only I've been saying it, not typing it.

Today is not one of those days, so welcome back.

Have you read this?

So we now know guns in school are bad. Ok. I'll go with that. Kids should not bring guns to school. But when you say that kids can't doodle a laser pistol (with no victim) in the margin of an assignment because it is a "threat"... and suspend them for a week... ? I can't begin to tell you how many times I might have been suspended if this type of thing were going on where I went to school... when I went to school.

That's only the beginning of the story. My biggest problem in this story is the following line...

"Ben Mosteller was allowed to see his son’s drawing at the school but was not permitted to make a copy to bring home to his wife."

I can think of but one good reason why they would not let him do this. Was it because they were trying to protect his wife from this horrendous pistol drawing? Was it because they were afraid that in doing so, the father could say they were subjecting he and his wife to the same trauma?

Or could it be because the administration knew that they were being foolish and were trying to protect this drawing from winding up in the media's hands?

I suspect the latter.

Every day, I'm happier that we homeschool.

No comments: